DAY AFTER THANKSGIVING DAY - NEW YEAR'S DAY
Olde England comes alive in Historic Downtown Antioch, IL with life-like figures representing scenes from the Dickens Era. Experience this Volunteer Public Art Exhibit. All Dicken's Characters are made from the ground up by Dicken's Volunteers.
New in 2019: Dickens Holiday Village will be INDOORS in Downtown Antioch beginning the night after Thanksgiving-New Year's Day, 10 a.m.-8 p.m., for you to enjoy. Each character exhibit has a plaque which describes the scene you are seeing and how life was in the Dicken's Era.
Begin your Dicken's Experience at our Dickens Welcome Center, in our Downtown (located inside of Hannahs on Lake Street). At the Welcome Center, you will enjoy Dickens style hospitality as you receive your free Walking Tour Brochure and learn more about Dickens Holiday Village.
Thanks to the generosity of Raymond Chevrolet-Kia, the Antioch Chamber offered FREE public viewing of our Dickens Holiday Program, Kringle Village, and our Santa's Enchanted Village! Watch for special Holiday Promotions provided by Raymond Chevrolet-Kia during our Holiday Parade and Programs in 2018!
Dickens Tour Opportunities
There are several types of tours available for Antioch's Dickens Holiday Village (Thanksgiving-New Year's Day). All tours begin at our Dickens Welcome Center located in Downtown Antioch. Contact the Chamber for complete tour information. If you are coming with friends or a small group, you can pick up your free Walking Tour Brochures.
Please allow time to enjoy Antioch's quaint downtown and eateries as you enjoy our Dickens Experience.
Our Dickens Volunteers are very proud of what they created for our community and love to share their stories of the year-long project of bringing Dickens to life while leading the tour.
Family Fun on Saturdays
On special Saturdays, you'll find Dickens Fun throughout Downtown Antioch. Perhaps you'll enjoy musical interludes with street musicians strolling throughout an afternoon while bringing musical cheer to Antioch. Another Saturday afternoon you might enjoy the vocal talents of strolling carolers.
Scrooge: Bring the kids to find Scrooge on Saturdays in December, thru (Noon-2 pm). The kids should look around downtown to find Scrooge. If they spot him, Scrooge will give them some shiny new pennies, while grumbling the whole time (Scrooge hates to part with a penny!).
A Community Volunteer Art Project
- In 2012, a Downtown Merchant- Charlie, brought the idea of a Dickens Art Project to the Antioch Chamber. Charlie occasionally travels for business and had seen a Dickens program in another state. With the perseverance of Charlie, the Antioch Chamber began to explore the possibility of Dickens and what a volunteer art project would entail.
- The Antioch Chamber quickly learned that Volunteers are key to this program. Among the many things Antioch, IL is known for, volunteerism ranks near the top of the list! Dickens Holiday Village has been created from the ground up by volunteers...almost everything was handmade by several volunteer committees which were formed to bring Dickens Holiday Village to Antioch.
- Mannequin Committee- each Dickens character was handmade by our volunteers, building the mannequins out of wood and even making some of the mannequins movable to pose for different scenes.
- Art Committee- our artistic volunteers use strophone heads, then sculpt them and paint them for our real life Dickens look. Each Dickens head is a work of art in itself and took the artist many hours to create. The art volunteers also create the props, as needed.
- Storyline Committee- these creative people wrote a story which we used as a template and worked together to create the Dickens experience. You'll see the happy side of the Dickens Era and also experience the sad side of Dickens as you see young children working to help support their families.
- Apparel Committee- a talented group of women bonded together to outfit our Dickens Characters in clothing appropriate to the Dickens Era, in many cases, creating the outfits from scratch in their homes.
- Promotion Committee- these volunteers work with our business community to bring fun Dickens activities to the public to enjoy (even for your dogs!).
- Snow Removal Committee- if our Dickens Characters get covered with snow, volunteer families will come and gently brush the snow off of our Dickens characters.
- Dickens Guardian Angels- Please keep an eye out for possible vandalism and report it to our Police Department at 847-395-8585.
Dickens Souvenirs and Merchandise
Available at the Dickens Welcome Center (inside of Hannahs on Lake Street) in Downtown Antioch, IL
Dickens Logo Coffee Mugs
Oliver Logo Coffee Mugs
Scrooge U Logo Coffee Mugs